Knowing the condition of a roof is hard to tell to the untrained eye. The issues that come from a damaged roof cost you more money than you’d probably like to spend. Yearly roof inspections are often credited for catching these issues before it is too late, and you need a roof replacement. Here are a few reasons why it’s important to get your roof inspected:
Common Roof Problems
Yearly roof inspections identify problems before your roof becomes dangerous. Inspections done by a professional also give you clarity when it comes to home improvement projects that may need to be done specifically to your roof. There are a few common problems a roof inspection catches. Some of these problems are:
- Damaged or missing shingles
- Vegetation growth
- Leaks and cracks
- Roof sagging
How Often Do I Need My Roof Inspected?
Roofs should be inspected at least once per year. If you live in an area with frequent storms or high winds, you may need it inspected more often. It is also recommended that they should be inspected after a large storm hits. Having routine roof inspections will increase the life of your roof and keep your home safe.
Reasons to Have Yearly Inspections
- Warranty Claims Purposes - It’s hard to know what’s covered in your roof warranty, but having a professional routinely inspect your roof helps. They assist you in your decision of whether to file a claim or not. If you decide to file a claim, a contractor or inspector assesses your roof to see if the damages are covered by your warranty. Be sure to have your warranty documents in hand, and file the claim.
- Aging Building or Structure - Roofs endure a lot. As roofs age, moisture seeps into the cracks and freezes, which results in those cracks expanding. Over time, this leads to water infiltration. If caught early on, these cracks are easily fixable! As your home or building ages, continue to get inspections!
- Unnoticeable Maintenance Damage - When technicians are fixing air conditioning units or other roof-mounted systems, the technicians may damage your roof. A yearly inspection allows you to solve issues such as resealing mechanical panels and removing debris.
- Storm Damage Problems - Storm damage comes in the form of hail pummeling into your roof, high winds launching debris, or other weather phenomena that compromises your roof’s integrity. To catch these damages before they become defects, schedule an inspection immediately after these weather events.
- Proper Drainage - Having proper drainage is arguably the most important factor in the performance of a roof. A clogged roof results in trapped moisture and increased chances of leaks. The routine removal of branches, trash, leaves, and debris helps keep your roof from clogging.
Stop Roof Damage Before It Starts
The best way to preserve the life of your roof is to have yearly inspections. Inspectors find faults in the structure of the roof as well as the foundation, which is fixed to prevent the chances of other issues arising. These inspections also educate you on how to fix small repairs and other best practices for maintaining your roof. If you need a yearly roof inspection, contact our team at Lewis Roofing. We have the trained eyes to find any roof damage and other roof issues before it’s too late!